Dish by Harry Dunne
Ingredients - 4 portions
1 Chicken (1¼ - 1½ Kg)
50g Dripping, Butter or Margarine
1. Season the chicken inside and out with Salt and Pepper.
2. Place on its side in a roasting tin.
3. Cover with Dripping, Butter or Margarine.
4. Place in a hot oven ( 200٥C ) approx 20-25 minutes.
5. Turn on to the other leg.
6. Cook for another 20-25 minutes.
7. Baste frequently.
8. To test if cooked pierce with a fork between the
Drumstick and Thigh and hold over a plate. The juice
issueing from the chicken should not show any signs
1. Place the roasting tray on the stove over a gently heat to allow the sediment to settle.
2. Carefully strain off the fat, leaving the sediment in the tray.
3. Return to the stove and brown carefully, Swill (Deglace) with a good brown stock.
4. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
5. Correct the seasoning and colour. Then strain and skim.
In some establishments the gravy served the stuffed joints and also pork and veal is slightly thickened with diluted corn flour, fécule or arrowroot.